Thursday, May 24, 2007

Frederick Ice chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

In the year of our Lord, 1745, we were a happy family. Mary Margaret was as good a wife as a man could find. I was thirty or so years older than she was, but that didn't count. At 65 I was still young at heart and the Lord had blessed me with unusually good health. It ran in our family.

Mary, our youngest, was five years old. Margaret was eight; William was ten; and John just turned fourteen. I couldn't believe our blessings!

And we lived at peace with our Indian neighbors. This was 1745, and it wasn't the Old Country. Lots of us Germans had settled here in the mountains where Maryland, Pennsylvania and Virginia come together. Fort Cumberland was just to the north in Maryland. We had a little settlement of five houses where Patterson Creek drains into the Potomac River. Jim Hesler, Henry Fleenor, Friedel Copenhaver, Jacob Hartstein, and me, Frederick Ice. Wood was free, the forests all around. We built sturdy and well. We knew how to split logs with an ax, smoother than any sawmill could do. We built houses and barns with Old World craftsmanship. We cleared away some of the forest to create fields. It seemed wasteful, but was necessary. The soil is rich and fertile. You just put the seed in the ground and then jump back as the plants shoot up!

We praised the Lord as all good Lutherans do. We are the Lord's Church. But Churches are scarce out here. There is a Lutheran Church in Winchester, Virginia. But that is several days away, and through a wilderness. Once or twice a year a visiting priest came through and we would have holy communion. We worshipped together with our neighbors once every month. I would read from my German Bible, Luther's Version.

Our children grew up as wild as Indians. None of our children could read. Who needed it here? They could speak German, English, and several Indian languages. But here we were out in the wilderness. The children would pitch in and help with the work. Hunting and fishing and farming took up all our time. Who could sit around and read books, if they even had any. Life is quick and simple and often sudden here on the Frontier. But I did think sometimes of the Old Country and how we did things there.

"Mary Margaret, I want to start to Winchester tomorrow. I'll take John with me. He is old enough. I want him to see what life is like in the city. Why, there must be several hundred people living in Winchester now."

"Mr. Ice, I'll need some things from the store."

"Just tell me, and I'll get them."

"Mr. Ice, I've been keeping a list in my head. We always need to get grain ground, and flour, and sugar and salt. You will want powder and shot. I would like a sharp steel knife and some other kitchen things. We need many things to use here at home."

"I will remember it all," I said. And I did. No need to write things down.

I'm sure you think this sounds too formal. But we are that way here in the wilderness. She calls me "Mr. Ice" in public and in front of the children. But she calls me "Frederick" when we are alone.

"John, you are going with me this time. You can drive the other team and wagon. We'll leave at first light in the morning."

John let our a war whoop! I could tell he was pleased.

"Father, we want to go!" All the children were shouting in German.

"Children, you are too young to be wandering around in this wilderness. You must stay at home where you are safe."

But little did I know what was to happen to them while I was away.

We were a community, as I said. All five families worked together. Many hands make light work, as the old saying goes. The wagons had already been packed with the dried meat and berries and furs and other things to trade. The grain was all loaded. Everything was ready to leave as soon as there would be light enough to see.

It was still dark when we gathered in the yard and hooked up our teams to the wagons. It made sense to go as a group. This was a hard trip. We always left our families at home. No need for them to go through the difficulties. Winchester was seventy miles or more away, over mountain trails. It took three weeks going and coming, in wagons. This was a big undertaking. We did it spring and fall.

We had to have some light to find our way, or we would have started sooner. I did miss the roads we had back in the Old Country. Here we had to chop our way through the brush to get the wagons over the trails.

Mary Margaret gave me a big hug. "Frederick," she whispered in my ear, "must you go? I feel so alone when you are away. What if we are attacked?"

"My dear Mary Margaret. Don't worry so. Our Indian neighbors are our friends. You have nothing to fear from them. They'll help keep you safe. But keep the musket loaded and nearby, just in case."

Now, if I had known Mohawk raiding parties were on the way from Ohio, I would never have left them alone. Springfield, Ohio [I have used the name which you know], was 360 miles away, or more, through mostly trackless wilderness. Who could have expected warriors to come and do what they did? It still troubles me when I think about it. Couldn't I have done something to prevent this tragedy?

We spoke to the horses and the wagons began rolling across the fields to the edge of the woods. I was leading the way and the others followed. This is wilderness. There are no roads here. Occasionally someone comes along on a horse, following one of the animal trails. A wagon is much more difficult to take through high grass and weeds and bushes with trees all around. We had to use axes to chop our way through sometimes.

You would find it strange that in our homes we ate just two big meals a day: one in the middle of the morning, and the other in late afternoon. We didn't eat breakfast like city people do. And when we got hungry any time day or night, we just helped ourselves. There was always meat in the smokehouse, fresh milk, and buttermilk. The women always had corn dodgers made up. And we had some stronger drinks in the jug to take away the miasmas that sometimes plague us.

Out here on the trail we would eat Indian style: pemmican made of dried meat and berries pounded together, and corn dodgers. We had all the fresh mountain spring water we could want to drink. And the jug, to kill the miasmas, the bad air that causes disease.

It was well into the afternoon by now. The sun filtered through the trees. The wagons were moving along single-file.

Suddenly Jim grabbed his musket and fired. "Bam!"

"Got him!" Jim jumped down from the wagon and ran over into the brush to pick up a wild turkey.

"Mr. Ice, ain't it about time to stop and rest the horses?"

Sure sounded good to me.

We found dry sticks and soon had a fire going. It didn't take long to cook that turkey and we had fresh meat! Can't beat a wild turkey for taste.

We were used to sleeping out in the open. We were a lot like our Indian neighbors. We lived close to the land. We always built a good fire and one of us stood guard to watch for varmints and such while the others slept.

We finally came to a regular trail and followed it to Winchester. It was a hard trip and took several days. But no special problems. I should say that travel in these parts has lots of problems and takes a lot of effort. When we came to a steep hill, we had to hitch all the horses to each wagon in turn to take them up the hill one by one. Going down the other side we would just tie the wheels so they couldn't turn and skid them down the mountainside as best we could. The horses were strong and we were strong. It surely felt good just to be alive!

We did meet Indians and other people from time to time. We would stop to say "Howdy!" and ask about the news. We were eager to hear just what was happening. But none of us had any reason to fight anybody and so we parted in peace.

"Mr. Ice. Up ahead. It looks like an open space."

"Jacob. I saw that. We're coming close to Winchester."

We came out of the trees into a cleared area. We could see the town up ahead. We all whooped and hollered! We were so glad to be at the end of our journey.

"Father! Look at all the houses! I've never seen a city so big!"

"John, back in the Old Country we had many such cities as Winchester. Some were so big you couldn't even imagine them."

"Okay, men. First things first. We are here on business. John and I will take the grain to the mill. You others take the skins and trading goods on to the trading post. We'll be there as soon as we can."

John and I drove our wagons to the mill, which was down at the riverside. The mill ran on waterpower.

The miller came out to meet us.

"Mr. Koenig. Howdy! It's been a while."

"Mr. Ice! It has been a while. How are the Indians behaving over your way? We heard of a family being murdered north of here and house and barn and crops and everything burned."

"Why, things were as peaceful as could be when I left home. Our Indian neighbors are good friends. We get along fine. No problems from them."

"Well. I don't know. I never trusted no Indian at all. Got to be careful. But enough of that. What can I do for you, Mr. Ice?"

"I've got corn to be ground into meal, and wheat to be made into flour. What toll will you take to grind my grain?"

Ben Koenig scratched his head, shuffled his feet, then stood up straight.

"Now Mr. Ice. You know I have to make a profit to stay in business. Why, I've heard that some take as much as a peck out of every bushel of grain as a toll to grind it."

"Never!" I said. "That would be robbery."

"That's what I said. I could never charge that high. What about a gallon and a half? That's 3/4 of a peck."

"Still too much. I put a lot of work into growing that grain. I can't give it away. Half a gallon would be too much."

"You drive a hard bargain, Mr. Ice. You're going to run me out of business. Tell you what I'm going to do. You're a good friend. I will grind it for a gallon and a quart."

"Make it a gallon, and you have a deal."

"A gallon and a gill it is. Don't tell anybody how you took advantage of me like this. I'll have to close the mill and go out of business."

We shook hands and closed the deal. I surely got the best of Ben this time. I don't know how he can work so cheap and still stay in business.

"John, let's go. It will be a day or two before the grain is ground. And that's fast. The mill runs on a water wheel for power. That sure speeds things up."

Ben's son came and took the wagons over where he could unload them. We unhitched the horses and took them to the corral and turned them loose in it. We walked on to the trading post.

When we got there, we could see the others waiting for us.

"Mr. Ice! We've been waiting for you to come and make the deal. You're so good at arguing with people. Come on up here on the porch."

Some old friends were on the porch also. I shook hands with each one. "Jeff Taylor. Emmet Eisenman. Tom Gribble."

"Mr. Ice," Jeff said. "Good to see you. How's things back in the hills? You still keeping those Indians peaceful?"

"That your boy?" Tom said. "He favors you right smart."

"This is my oldest son, John. It's time he saw the big city. He's growed with the Indians and bears and panthers and such."

Helmut Kaufman came out onto the porch of the trading post. He was always ready to turn a dollar or two. He would give us a good price, but you had to give him an argument first. I think he enjoyed the bargaining more than making money.

"Mr. Ice. I've been waiting for you. What you got in the wagons?"

"Just come here and look. Ain't these the most beautiful furs you ever did see! And we've got dried meat, pemmican, a few jugs of that good stuff you like, and some other things. Just come take a look!"

I watched as Helmut walked over and looked into each wagon. He picked up some things in his hand and brushed the furs.

"Well...I don't know, " he said. "Lots of furs around just now. What're you asking for these?"

"Just look at these furs," I said. "These are the finest grade. You never saw furs such as these. Them Easterners will surely give you top dollar. You can count on it!"

"Well," Helmut said. "I'll have to think about it. I suppose we can always work something out."

You just have to wait on Helmut. He was enjoying himself.

"Here's my list of supplies we need," I said. I told him everything. He didn't need to write it down. He had a good memory. Besides, you didn't write if you could help it. A lot of people couldn't write, or read. But Helmut could.

"You make us a deal," I said. "The furs alone will more than pay for the supplies we need. You can give us cash for the difference."

"It'll take a while. I got the Hite brothers working for me. They'll have it all ready by tomorrow night."

Helmut went back inside.

Meanwhile we sat on the porch just talking and passing the jug around. There was a lot of things to talk about.. We don't get much news, being where we are, and when we do hear it's weeks or months old by then. Winchester is the trading center for a large area. Many are the people who pass through here. We might hear something new and important from them. It's good just to talk a while.

Helmut came back out on the porch.

"Mr. Ice," he said. "You all are welcome to come eat supper with me. Maw always has lots cooked up. It'll be a change to eat home cooking."

"Thank you kindly," I said. "We've been on the trail several days. It'll surely be good to eat civilized."

"Yah, sure," the others joined in. "Much obliged to you!"

It was a supper we would remember. Helga surely is a good cook! Venison, cornbread, potatoes, lots of gravy, and real English tea. That was a treat. We had seconds and some thirds.

After we had thanked them both again, we went out to make camp for the night. We would rather sleep outside in the open. And there would not have been room in the house for all of us. We had a peaceful night.

We woke at first light and began stirring around. We stretched and yawned. Then we went on down to the river to wash. There's some who never wash. But we don't live that way. We are civilized people, even if we are out here on the Frontier.

We would just laze around today and maybe tomorrow. Nothing to do for a while but wait. We chewed a little bit of pemmican when we got hungry. We drank plenty of fresh spring water, and a little from the jug.

"Mr. Ice," Friedel Copenhaver said. "We are going on over to the trading post to see what might be happening."

"We'll be along directly," I said. I'm going over to the Lutheran Church first."

Now there is a Lutheran Church in Winchester. John and I walked over to talk with the Pastor, Joist Hennighausen. It is always a treat to speak German with someone, especially a brother in Christ. It wouldn't mean much to you, perhaps. He spoke of our relatives in Germany and what he had heard of them. Terrible persecution were still happening back in the Old Country. It sure made me sad. But it made me happy to be in this New World.

I said my good-byes to Pastor Hennighausen. He gave John and me big hugs. It was a treat for him to speak with someone from the Old Country as well.

John and I started on over to the trading post.

The others gave us a hearty greeting when we got there. It was just them on the porch at the time. Probably everybody else was working somewhere.

Every once in a while somebody would come by and we would talk to them.

Tom Gribble came up on the porch to say hello.

"Mr. Ice, did you hear? Big things happening over East. Sure glad we're too far away for them to care about us."

"Yah," I said. "Pastor Hennighausen mentioned that when he was telling me about the Old Country. It seems you can't get away from the troubles, even here in this New World."

He talked a while and then went on down the road.

Just about the time the sun was reaching its highest, a troop of soldiers came along the trail into town.

"Howdy!" I called to them as they rode up to the trading post.

They dismounted and came on up to the porch.

"Don't I know you?" Jim asked. "Ain't you Rupert Kohler?"

"Why, if it ain't Jim Hesler! What are you doing in Winchester? I thought you were way over in the mountains."

"We came here to trade with Helmut Kaufman. What are you doing in these parts?"

"I and my men are on the way to Fort Steuben [again, the name you know] over on the Ohio River. Mohawk Indians been causing trouble. We're reinforcements."

"As close as that!" I said. "And Mohawks! I sure don't like the sound of that. I hope to God they stay on the Ohio side of the river!"

"Sam," Rupert said to one of his men. "Go in and get our supplies. We've got to be on our way to Fort Steuben."

"Come up on the porch," I said. "We'll pass the jug and talk a while."

We were all as friendly as could be. But I couldn't forget those Mohawks.

"What about them Mohawks," I said. "Do you think they'll come over this way?"

"Who can tell what Indians will do? But they sure been on the warpath along that Ohio River, all the way to Fort Duquesne and the little town of Pittsburgh."

"That's miles away," said Jim. "They'd have to go a long ways to come over where our families live."

"You'd better hope so," said Rupert. "They are a mean bunch!"

"Why," I said, "Indians can really travel. They could come from Fort Duquesne to Patterson Creek in just a few days if they took the notion. I don't like the sound of this."

"Mr. Ice," said Jim. "Those soldiers will chase them Mohawks back over into the middle of Ohio Territory. We don't have nothing to fear from them at all."

Sam and the other soldier came out of the trading post and loaded the supplies into the saddle bags on the horses.

They all mounted up, and then pranced the horses to show off a little.

Rupert turned and waved his hat. "Be seeing you. Better watch your scalps!"

We all laughed and waved as they rode off.

"Mr. Ice," John said, "is there really danger from those Mohawk Indians? All that kind of talk scares me."

"Son, it's a dangerous world. It was more dangerous to us back in the Old Country. You can't be too careful. We'll get out of here and head for home just as soon as we can."

"Mr. Ice," said Jim. "I would feel a lot better if we were home already. Those Mohawks won't be anywhere near us. But I would just like to get back in a hurry."

"Let's try to do just that. I'll go see Ben Koenig and try to speed things up."

I walked on over to the mill, and John followed. Maybe Ben Koenig might hurry up a little. We ought to get home as quickly as we can. It wouldn't take quite so long going back anyhow, since we had cleared trail in coming to Winchester.

No comments: